Thursday 15 May 2014

Module Evaluation

Evaluation of PPP.


1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

One of the skills I have developed during PPP is networking. I have found that before this year I would find it very intimidating to contact any studios, I think I have gained a lot more confidence to do this now. I did business Studies at A level but I think after ‘Life’s a Pitch’ I have a better understanding of how to set up a design studio, including all of the legal requirements so that it is viable. This is something I have never thought about before, although I think that it would be possible now.



2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I haven’t used a range of printing methods for my pack due to my poor time management skills; also it may not have been appropriate for my pack. Although I do think that having a behance will be useful for me as a designer, to get my work out into the design world, this may bring opportunities to me. This is something that I am currently in the process of making. Through this module I have grown more confidence in my designs, and I there a few different pieces that I am incredibly proud of, so I think that I am ready to have a behance account and show people my work.




3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

I have found that I really enjoyed the business side to ‘Lifes’s a Pitch’ and I think that it is a possibility to start my own business in the future. I relised during PPP that if you don’t think that something is your best work, you don’t have to use it in your portfolio, in the future I will not use anything I don’t like, or don’t think is appropriate for the brief. During PPP I have learnt that I should be networking and its all about the people that you know, I think that knowing this is a new strength of mine, and it is something I will take action upon in the summer.



4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

One of the weaknesses I have in my work is time management, because at the end of this year we have had many different module hand ins, I have been prioritising different modules. Although I think that it was the best method for me at the time, I started to run out of time for making my promotional pack, which meant it was rushed, and I don’t think that it is my best work. Another weakness for me is web design, it is something I don’t have a lot of confidence in and something I need to practice more, although I know that it isn’t a creative field I want to go into. Another weakness is blogging as I go, at the start of level 5 I was blogging as I went, but as the work piled on I became lazy with my blogging, this is something that I will address in level 6.



5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

Next time I will blog as I go, throughout the year, this will make the hand in less stressful.

I will spend longer developing ideas, as for my promotional pack, due to lack of time, I went with my first idea and rushed it, this is something I would change for the future, don’t settle for anything less than the best.

I will plan my time more efficiently, so that I have more time to spend on the designs rather than having very little time to develop my work.

I will plan my print slots ahead of schedule, as the print room was booked up months in advance I had to go to drop ins, which were stressful and time consuming. Next year I will make sure that I book print slots around my deadlines so that I always have them there.

Next year and through the summer I am going to aim to contact different studios for visits and placements. This will mean that I can increase my networking skills and find out what it is really like in the industry.



6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




x
Punctuality




x
Motivation



x

Commitment



x

Quantity of work produced


x


Quality of work produced


x


Contribution to the group



x

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment