Friday 10 April 2015

FDB Design Visit

FDB Design.
Studio Visit.
I found out about this studio being of a placement that I did with Glenelg. Glenelg was very helpful by recommending me to FDB also by introducing me to a few different studios and people who I could talk to. FDB Design is a very family orientated business with one extra girl who was able to get the job as they needed someone else when a different family member dropped out. Having different age ranges works really well for them, and I loved being their as they asked me my opinion of things and really listened and cared for my answer. FDB are not looking to expand or have any placements at this time, although I know this, I really liked the studio and wanted to go so that I could speak to more people in the industry.

As soon as I walked into the studio I introduced to everyone and couldn't feel more comfortable there. David, who is the owner of FDB Design, took me through all of the work that they were doing at the moment, and work that they have produced in the past. The range of design was really good, they don't soley do packaging, although that is their main focus. They produce branding for companies, leaflets and lots of editorial work. This was all really interesting to go through.

The Work.
I was unable to take any pictures of their work produced whilst I was there, although they went through a lot of the work that they have been doing with me, and their website is up to date so all of their work is on there.


The greedy pig is a branding and packaging brief. It was for sausages which is a theme that they went through at one point, with many different sausage brands giving them briefs. This was one of the projects that FDB has produced which I really like and remember the most from the visit.


Although another brief that they produced was for Jaguar. After a lot of different briefs from them, where they didn't really know what they wanted, David who owns FDB took the initiative to go to them with their ideas. Jaguar allowed them to try their ideas under their own risk, therefore they weren't paid for the initial designs. Although what was agreed was that they could copy-write the design which would mean Jaguar would have to go through FDB every time they wish to use it. Jaguar loved the designs that FDB produced and are now a very loyal customer to them. Now they are given a free reign to design Jaguar’s full range of car care products. Plus also providing design & packaging for global compliance for many of Jaguars part supplies.



My work.
When I was going through my work with David, Singen, and Gabby they all seemed really impressed and also gave me some advice. The advice they gave me was to continue my portfolio they way I started it, it starts with huge impact briefs that I am really passionate about and ends with ones that aren't photographed well and I don't care as much about. I should be passionate and proud all the way to the end. They liked the fact that I have been doing live briefs and what they have lead to, by getting more live work.

My Experience. 
When going to FDB Design I expected to go through some of the work that they have produced, they through some of mine, although as well as doing this I stayed for over 5 hours, getting to know everyone in the studio, finding my way around it and helping them out with my opinions and some photography for a client that they were working on that day. Expecting to be there an hour but actually staying for five gave me a lot more time with the studio, and gave me a confidence boost as they asked me to stay the day and I was able to give my input.

I have learnt that everything needs to be photographed properly as it makes everything a lot better, they have a studio room for photography that works really well. I have also made connections with everyone in that studio, and even though I know that FDB Design isn't somewhere that is offering jobs at the minute, they have asked me to keep in touch, and are so approachable if I need any advice. FDB Design and everyone who works there are lovely and they are people that I know that I definitely want to keep in touch with in the future. Gabby, a designer that works there, also gave me a contact for a printers that she would advise to use and another for her dad who is a graphic design too as a studio in York.

I have really enjoyed my day at FDB Design, and is a studio I will keep in contact with, and go back to catch up with them as they have asked me to. I have business cards with details on of the people who work there so I can keep in contact with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment