"Graphic Design is an ongoing examination/conversation between the dynamics of personal exploration and professional practice." - Matt Owens, Volumeone.
What makes an effective design practice?
- Appropriateness of response to the brief
- Quality of resolution
- Meeting the deadline(time management)
Appropriateness of resolution
- What is the problem?
- Who is the audience?
- What is the context?
- What is the method of delivery?
- How is it being delivered?
What is the problem?
- Are you being asked to...or Do you want to..?
What is your rationale?
- What are you doing and why?
Different briefs require you to work in different ways
Audience - Context - Media
Is it the media that drives the audience or is it the context?
Creative - Ethical - Commercial
What drives you most? How are you driven? Why do you do the work?
Handmade - Digital - Lens Based
How does your practice engage these three elements? How do you design?
2D - 3D - 4D
Which dimensions do you work in?
Quality of resolution
- Depth of appropriate research
- Breadth of initial ideas
- Selection of potential solutions
- Thorough visual development
- Attention to detail/crafting
- Clarity of presentation
- What do you work with?
- What is your primary/secondary method?
- Type with image? Image with type?
Is the media the message?
- How does that effect what you are trying to communicate?
Tone of voice
- Are you making it funny or serious?
- Is it appropriate?
- Does it relate to the brief?
Make it better.
The space between people working together is filled with conflict, friction, strife, exhilaration, delight, and vast creative potential.
Meeting the deadline
Key element of a design practice.
Message, Communication, Clarity, Context +(plus) Creativity, Concept, Ideas *(times) Skills, Organisation, Discipline, Commitment /(divided by) Boundaries, Limitations, Rules, Time =(equals) An effective design practice.
What is yours professional name and contact details?
What words best describe your design practice?
What words best describe you as a person?
What are your strongest design skills?
What area of graphic design interest you the most?
Product and Packaging
Branding and Identity
Who are your favourite designers/Design studios?
What makes these your favourites? (where can you see their work?)
Simple and minimal design, uses negative space in a very clever way. http://www.dutchuncle.co.uk/illustrators/noma-bar/portfolios/portfolio
Like the style of his work, also minimal, love his print work. http://imeusdesign.4ormat.com/fathoms-deep
What are your 5 favourite design blogs?
What things do you want to be?